Man hit, killed by semi on I-80 in Tooele County | News
A man is now dead after being hit by a semi on Interstate 80 in Tooele County.
The accident happened Friday at about 5:30 a.m. in the westbound lane near mile marker 95.
Police identified the man as 52-year-old Victor Mathew Gordan from Lihue, Hawaii. He was in a rental car that was past due when he pulled off to the side of the highway and parked. He then stepped out of the vehicle and onto the highway where he was hit by the passing semi truck.
"From what the semi driver was telling us, the male subject was walking across I-80 south. Then at that point he struck the individual and he's now deceased," said Utah Highway Patrol Trooper Chris Lewis.
Utah Highway Patrol officers told the Associated Press that the driver of the vehicle, 36-year-old Lonnie Bentley, had no time to avoid Gordan, saying he ran toward the crude oil hauler. Gordan was thrown into the center median on impact.
Crews had to close both lanes westbound on I-80 for a few minutes after the accident.
Upcoming Events near Tooele
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police arrest man who allegedly stole from several cars
- Salt Lake City airport brings in furry friends to help soothe flying fears
- Shannan Yates leads the top Freeriders in the world this week at Snowbird
- 2 families displaced after 2-alarm fire in Salt Lake City
- Armed man robs Salt Lake City bank, police release suspect’s photo